Thursday, September 11, 2014

Welcome to today's Guest Designer, Donna!

Today we are so pleased to be joined by Donna of From My Art 2 Yours as our Guest Designer today. Donna was chosen by the DT as the winner of the 'Hip to be Square' challenge. Let's hear from her and see her fabulous project...


Hi Everyone! My name is Donna and I live in Safety Harbor, Florida. I am an accountant by day and an unfocused crafter/baker/ decorator/handyman by night! I say unfocused because I’m usually juggling multiple projects from any one of those areas!

When I was growing up my mother had several different hobbies and occasionally she would let my sister and I pick out a craft kit for ourselves. For me that was makit-bakit kits, felt or candle-wicking holiday ornaments, and latch hook rugs. Ok, so I just dated myself with those!! From there I graduated to counted cross-stitch, among many other things, and when I had worn out my shoulder, elbow and wrist I had to find something else to do. Then one fateful day my co-worker shared some holiday cards that she had hand-stamped and the addiction was born! I’ve been stamping, etc. since about 1995. I’ve never been a scrapbooker, I’m a stamper! My interests now lean towards three-dimensional projects but I love making tags and cards too. And I love anything in miniature. Mini-books and boxes make me swoon! But enough about me, let’s move on to my project!


The theme for this challenge is From the Heart. Make a vintage project to have hearts as the focal image. I hope everyone isn’t tired of the artist trading boxes, or ATBs, because I’ve used one here to make a two-sided photo display piece! And of course, if photos are involved I’ll be showing off my cutie-patootie doggies, Maggie and Willie!


I’ve used lots of Tim Holtz products here and several techniques from Tim’s Compendium of Curiosities books, Volumes II and III. Each heart has a different surface technique applied to it as well as the ornate frame that holds each photo. I also added delicate filigree metal corners from Linda’s shop. She has a fabulous selection of metal accents that you should check out!


I wanted the piece to be two-sided and I also wanted to be able to change out the photos. To do that, I simply remove the hinge clip at the top of the two frames. I used the oval from the center of the ornate frame die cut as a guide and cut out the photos slightly larger than that. The frame is only glued to the wood block along the very bottom so the photo is held in place between the frame and the wood block.

You can see more details of my project on my blog, From My Art 2 Yours. Thank you so much to the Frilly and Funkie bunch for the opportunity to join you all here today!

I'm sure you'll all agree that Donna's project is beautiful and has provided lots more inspiration for the current challenge of 'From The Heart'. If you would like to be in with a chance to join us as Guest Designer too all you need to do is join in with the challenge!

11 comments:

  1. Donna I love it! Making it so that you can change the photos and adding that sturdy base means it won't fall down and can be kept for years to come. And with it looking so beautiful who wouldn't want to?! So pleased to have you as our Guest Designer today. Thank you. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that Donna's project is both beautiful and inspirational! I love that you have incorporated so many techniques, and that it's a functional piece. Cutie-patooties is right!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic ATB! I love the frame and that the picture can be changed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. First off, your little dogs are gorgeous! I could never tire of ATBs and never tire of seeing what you do with them either. This one is just stunning! Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Donna your piece is gorgeous xx so lovely to see your wonderful art back again xx a gorgeous piece xx hugs xx trace

    ReplyDelete
  6. Donna, this is elegant with the puppies on the top... love it all ... one great idea after the next. Super colors for this too... Love it all... Congrats on being a Guest Designer. Love, Light and Peace...Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  7. A beautiful project you have come up with to showcase those two little cutie pies. How lucky you are to have them in your life. The words you have chosen for your tags on the piece are just perfect. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome back, Donna!!! Congratulations on being a Funkie Favorite! I'm so delighted to have you as our guest designer this week. Your ATB is crazy wonderful. And what a great way to use the Ornate Frame die! Fabulous way to display the sweet doggie photos. Thanks so much for giving our visitors a giant dose of mojo today.

    Hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh what cuties! and such a terrific way to display them!!! Great use of the frame die too~ hugs, Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  10. Donna,
    I don't think I could ever get tired of your gorgeous ATB's! I still have your inspired creation from Hip to be Square on my mind and you've already crafted another amazing piece. You've used such a delightful variety of techniques, texture, and embellishments. Maggie and Willie are precious and what a wonderful way to display their photos throughout the years!
    Hugs,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete